Sunday, February 24, 2008

Shelf Queens

Self-Portrait: Kiev 4aFeds to the left of me, Zorkis to the right, here I am, smack in the middle with the Kiev.

Only a few short years ago, I was crazy about Soviet rangefinder cameras. I had lots of them; I still have quite a few. Once I started taking digital photos, however, I lost the patience of working with film, and so the SovCams have been sitting on my shelves, gathering dust since mid-2003.

It's time to give them up - they are too good, too productive to lay idle. I've told myself I would at least use my favorite, an immaculate Kiev 4a from 1964, once a year (maybe on May Day!) But it hasn't happened.

What will I use any proceeds from the sales for? Gonna buy a Canon Digital Rebel XTsi when they come out in late March or April.

Sorry, Comrades.

About this photo: I used a Canon Digital Rebel (D300) with it's 18-55mm kit lens at 18mm, f/4, 1/25 sec. at ISO 800. In photoshop, I used a Hue-Saturation layer to mask off the yellowish finder area and then desaturated the rest of the image.

1 comment:

Ginnie Hart said...

I have had the Canon Digital Rebel XTi since last September, Steve, and just love it. I'm not familiar with the new one coming out but I'm sure it's a winner. Digital is where it's at these days, of course. Too bad you can't have your own camera museum, but I understand the need to sell what you have. It would be fun to find out what your proceeds are. :)