Friday, August 10, 2007

Storm

StormHere's a storm drain manhole cover on East Pratt Street that I must have walked by hundreds of times on my way to work. One day recently, I did a double-take when I realized that it was full of blossoms that had fallen from the tree above it.

I thought this was something photographically worthwhile, and I took a few shots with the Canon A640 I carry in my backpack. After getting back home and editing the image in Photoshop, I really liked it, but I wasn't sure it would appeal to anyone else.

At times like that, I often do a sanity-check with our son Ben, so I emailed him a copy. Here's his reply:

I love this storm image and I’ll tell you why. Because the word storm carries with it a feeling and meaning of volatility. But then wrapped around it and even sometimes covering it up are these beautiful flowers of nature. This shows both extreme ends of nature. It also represents that maybe the storm was what caused the beautiful flowers to fall, yet they are still beautiful afterwards.

No comments: