Thursday, March 26, 2009

Catkin

CatkinWho knew?

Our neighbors have a tree adjoining our property that I always though of as a pussy willow. By early March, often earlier, we see little furry, gray cyclinders emerging from the buds. A very nice herald of Spring.

On my way to my car the other day, for the first time, I noticed that the furriness had evolved into something else, and as I had my Canon SD400 in my pants pocket, I decided to take some photos.

Setting the camera in Macro mode and closing in on one of the once-fuzzy tubule, I half-pressed the shutter button. What came into focus on the LCD was unexpectedly beautiful.

So since I decided to post this image, I had to find out what to call it. Turns out the correct term is catkin.

So now I know, and you do too, and we can impress our friends and relatives with this new knowledge. Be sure to find some way to work catkin into the conversation this weekend.

No comments: